October 21, 2011

Dry clean only?!!

I got a very nice used winter coat from a thrift store, it's made of three materials: suede, polyester and acrylic. The care instructions in the tag tell you to only dry clean it by a leather professional, but I really didn't want to spend all that money in dry cleaning (yes...I'm that cheap). Plus they use chemicals that are harmful for the environment

I've been searching on the Internet and the material that should not get wet is suede. Suede is a type of leather with a fuzzy surface. Now, I spent a while considering taking it to a dry cleaner but didn't make up my mind, winter is getting close, the weather is getting colder even here in Florida. I wasn't going to wear it dirty ether, especially coming from a thrift store. I was also afraid to wash it myself, but at the end I dared to do it! I knew I could fail or I could succeed. 
I washed it in the machine with cold water, used baby shampoo and hung it to dry. I think it still looks good.

No comments: